Thursday 23 June 2011

Grafika Exhibition









The 'grafika' exhibition started this week at the RBSA Craft Gallery in Birmingham. It is a selection of makers who explore mark-making, graphics and illustration within their work, whether it be jewellery or ceramics. Amongst other pieces of my work 'the cracked pot' was selected for the exhibition.

Having previously studied graphic design I have always been inspired by type, so it seemed very natural to express myself using words on my ceramic wares. I was also inspired by the Japanese tea ceremony and had been looking for stories and poetry to write onto my porcelain teacups, when I came across an old Indian tale about a cracked pot. A water bearer in India carried two water pots from the stream to his master’s house, but one of the pots had a crack and leaked. The perfect pot was proud of itself perfect for which it was made. The cracked pot on the other hand was ashamed of himself and apologised to the bearer for its failure. The water bearer responded with;

“Did you not notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path........that’s because I have always known about your flaw.............I planted flower seeds on your side of the path and everyday while we walk back from the stream, you’ve watered them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment